Spring is a great time to get your house in order and get rid of clutter. Additionally, spring cleaning can reduce the risk of damage to your home.
Here are seven things you can do around your home that may prevent costly property damage.
- Clean dryer hoses. Built-up dryer lint is one of the leading causes of house fires. In addition to cleaning the lint trap regularly, do a deeper cleaning by disconnecting the hose from the back of the dryer and using a vacuum to remove finer material.
- Change detector batteries. Both smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors should have batteries changed every six months. When you adjust clocks for daylight savings time, change your batteries.
- Address gutters and downspouts. Hopefully you cleaned your gutters in the fall. If not, now is the time to do so before heavy rains fall. If you did, check again in spring to be sure they are still clear of debris. Add downspout extensions to move water far away from buildings.
- Check your water heater. Examine it for any leaks or corrosion and have the unit repaired or replaced if needed.
- Tune up your AC & furnace. Change your furnace filter and, before switching to AC for the summer, have your system inspected to be sure it is in good working order.
- Examine windows and doors. Dry winter weather is tough on door and window seals. Look for cracks where moisture can get in or conditioned air can get out. Replace seals and re-caulk where necessary.
- Trim your trees. Prune branches that overhang buildings as well as dead areas and cut back shrubbery from windows to help deter burglary.
A little elbow grease goes a long way in keeping your property in top condition and avoiding costly repairs or insurance claims.
Find more out at acuity.com
Thank you for your interest in Assurnet Insurance, Inc. To begin your quote use our quick and easy quote forms above. If you would like to speak to an insurance professional please feel free to call our office at 702-262-5812 or email your questions and an agent will reply promptly.