It is important that business owners diligently research and invest in a high-quality security camera system to deter and document thefts, burglaries, and fraud. If anything happens, the footage can be reviewed to confirm the events leading up to and after the incident.
Acuity’s claims department has worked with many business owners who thought their footage was secured. However, when they reported a claim and tried to share this important documentation with their claim representative, the surveillance footage was no longer available. What happened to the videos, why were they lost, and what maintenance tips can be followed to prevent these issues?
Mike Rindt, Acuity’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) Manager, offers the following advice to help business owners achieve the maximum benefit from a camera system:
- Purchase cameras with the highest resolution your budget allows. Low-resolution cameras act as a deterrent, but rarely provide images that are helpful after an incident.
- Routinely check to ensure the video feed from each camera is working.
- Periodically restart the recording unit (DVR/NVR) and ensure it is functioning properly.
- Update camera software as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Follow any manufacturer guidelines for maintenance/cleaning.
- Be familiar with your system:
- Know the login procedure and passwords.
- Are images/video saved to a hard drive or are they saved to the cloud?
- Keep a copy of the owner’s manual for quick reference on how the system works.
- How long are images/video retained? A minimum of 30 days is recommended.
Knowing how a camera system works and regularly maintaining it can pay great dividends when called upon in a moment of need.
This was written by Aimee spatt, Acuity Claims Consultant.
Find more out at acuity.com
Thank you for your interest in Assurnet Insurance, Inc. To begin your quote use our quick and easy quote forms above. If you would like to speak to an insurance professional please feel free to call our office at 702-262-5812 or email your questions and an agent will reply promptly.