Happy Independence Day! Assurnet hopes you are enjoying your holiday break in the sunshine with your family and friends. If you are planning a cookout at your house this Fourth of July, it's important to be extremely cautious and alert at all times! According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), July is the peak month for grill fires. To avoid fires or unwanted burns, review the tips below to have a happy and safe holiday.
- If you are using a propane grill, make sure the lid is open before lighting it. If you're using a charcoal grill, remember to use the correct starter fluid.
- Place the grill at least 10 feet away from your home, deck railings and overhanging branches.
- If you are using a charcoal grill and the fire is low, revive it with some kindling and more charcoal. Avoid using liquid fuel as this can cause a flash fire.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area. If that is unavoidable, make sure they are at least 3 feet from the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Keep your grill away from windy areas.
- If you smell gas while grilling, step away from grill immediately and call your fire department.
- When you're done grilling, scrape off any grease or fat buildup that's left over and in the trays below the grill. If you're using a charcoal grill, make sure the coals are completely cool before disposing in a metal container.
Once you clean off your grill, it will be good as new and ready for your next cookout. From all of us at Assurnet: Have fun and be safe!
Find out more at https://blog.foremost.com/grilling-safety-tips-for-your-cookout.asp
Thank you for your interest in Assurnet Insurance, Inc. To begin your quote use our quick and easy quote forms above. If you would like to speak to an insurance professional please feel free to call our office at 702-262-5812 or email your questions and an agent will reply promptly.